Friday, November 30, 2012

Inspiration Blog Swap with Monica Bradford

1.Monica

Hello all! I’m Monica Bradford and my friend Gretchen, card maker extraordinaire, allowed me to take over her blog today with a guest post! A little blog swap amongst friends if you will. At the end of this post you’ll find a link to Gretchen’s blog entry on my blog.

The idea was to go through each other’s blog and find some inspiration. I didn’t have to go far, I found my inspiration in the first post I saw! Gretchen’s Wishing You Holiday Cheer card captured me immediately and I knew I wanted to use it to inspire my layout! I loved the combination of red and kraft, but it was the red stamping on the kraft that really got me inspired!

2.kickn-it

Here’s the funny thing about inspiration. I knew I wanted to use Gretchen’s design and color combo but I had no idea what story to scrap. Then Gretchen sent me her layout for my blog and told me that she had been inspired by one of my sports layouts but ended up making a snow layout. And I knew what I was going to scrap, my youngest son’s first soccer season. So I took Gretchen’s snow card and made a sports layout. Crack’s me up how we ended up flip-flopping!

3.kickn-it

I realize that red, green, white and kraft are often used on Christmas pages, but since my son’s team colors were red and white I knew I could make those colors work on my page. To keep this layout from looking Christmasy I used patterns with more energy like chevron and circles. I knew I wanted to replicate the red stamped sentiment on kraft cardstock. So, I decided it would be fun to take lots of sentiments and use them to create a patterned paper. I also loved the simple white border Gretchen used on her card, but because my border was stretching across two pages I felt it needed a bit of interest. To give it a bit of dimension I stamped a star all the way across. Using white ink on white cardstock gave the dimension I was looking for without adding to the already busy page. My favorite part of the whole process is having yet another sports layout DONE! Thanks Gretchen for the inspiration!

4.kickn-it

Supplies:

InLinkz.com
Want to see how I inspired Gretchen and read her blog entry? Head on over to ScrapInspired.com and check it out!

Monica Signature

Want to know a little more about me? I am a work at home mom, of two wonderful boys, living in the Midwest. I spent 12 years as an elementary school teacher, teaching kindergarten and first grade, prior to staying home. Now I spend my days taking pictures, scrapping, and feeding my creative soul! I’ve taught for the popular True Scrap franchise as well as on my own website. You can see all my online classes here. I’m also on Ella Publishing’s Take Twelve Design Team. To keep up with all that is going on with me sign up for inspiration in your inbox (and receive a free PDF with 40 sources of inspiration you’ve never thought of), follow me on facebook, or twitter. I also post regular inspiration videos on my YouTube channel, not to mention a fun music video now and then! Can’t wait to see you around!

4 comments:

Karen B said...

Wow! This is such a great layout, Monica! Love the fun idea to swap blogs and inspiration. Your take on the red-on-kraft stamping is fabulous!

Monica said...

Thanks Karen! You are too sweet! :)

Maya Oren-Dahan said...

Love the layout and love the idea of the blog swap! I am off to check Gretchen's post now.

Monica said...

Thanks so much Maya!