Thursday, June 21, 2012

may all your dreams come true card featuring Pop `n Cuts | tutorial

It’s tutorial time! I’ve got a new card to share featuring Karen Burniston’s Pop `n Cuts system from Sizzix and some super cute Lawn Fawn stamps called Critters Ever After.

may-all-your-dreams-frontmay-all-your-dreams-in-sq

For this card, I used the Sizzix Pop `n Cuts XL Die Set base tray, the Label Die insert, the Flagpole with Lantern & Sign Sizzlits set, and an On The Edge die.

1-base-cut

To start, I created my card base by using just the Pop `n Cuts base tray without the insert. I laid the paper on top, sandwiched my cutting plates and ran it through my Big Shot machine. Once it was through, I just folded the paper in half. The base tray creates a standard A2 card with rounded corners once it’s folded.

5-stamped-and-cut

Next I stamped the images I wanted to use for the outside and inside of my card, colored them with chalks, and cut them out.

6-assemble-front

To decorate the front, I used my On The Edge die and coordinating pattered paper to make a decorative border for my card front. I stamped a sentiment onto white cardstock, cut it out, and then glued it onto the front of my card as well as one of my previously stamped images.

Note: I used my scissors to trim my On The Edge border once glued down to my card front to match the rounded corners.

7-cut-banners

To create the banners for the front and inside of my card, I used my Flagpole with Lantern & Sign Sizzlits set and cut 7 flag pieces.

8-assemble-banners

I added adhesive to the inside of the flags, folded them over a piece of embroidery floss and then glued them all down to the upper left portion of my card in a curve. I knotted then trimmed the ends of my embroidery floss and glued it down to the front of my card also.

2-label-insert

For the inside, I inserted my Label die into the Pop `n Cut base tray making sure to line up the tick marks on the tray and insert (this makes sure the pop up portion of the card is centered). I laid my paper down and ran it through the machine then I folded the paper according to package directions, creating the inside piece for my card.

3-edges

To create the decorative edges, I folded the inside piece in half and laid the ends on top of my On The Edge die that I wanted to use, then ran it through my Big Shot machine. I then adhered the inside piece to my card base.

4-inside-main-pieces

To create a matching label to go over the Label portion that pops out, I cut a smaller piece of patterned paper to fit the area I needed. I laid it on top of my Pop `n Cut insert that was in my base tray and ran it through my machine again. To finish it off, I used scissors to snip the connected portions apart and glued it onto the label portion.

Note: Make sure to put the side of the paper you want to use down onto the die so when it’s all cut out and you glue it on, it matches perfectly.

9-posts

For the poles, I used my Flagpole with Lantern & Sign Sizzlits set and cut two pieces out plus the rounded top portions. I added adhesive to the inside of the trifolds, added the top round portion to the center of that trifold, and then folded them together.

10-assemble-posts

To add my poles to the inside of my card. I cut 1” off of the end of each one and used adhesive to secure them to the back of my Label cut out. I cut the 1” off to ensure that the tops of the poles would not poke out of the card when the card was closed.

Next I glued down my stamped image to the Label cut out. I also stamped a sentiment on white, cut it out, and glued it down right beneath that image.

11-inside-banners

My final step was to add the flag banners to the inside. I tied embroidery floss to one pole end and hung a flag temporarily on the floss in the center of the poles to help me decide on my placement. Once I decided on my placement, I tied the other end to the second pole using the hanging flag as a guide.

Once the embroidery floss was tied, I added adhesive to the flags and folded them over the floss to secure them.

may-all-your-dreams-inside

As a finishing touch I added the frog to the lower right hand portion on the inside of the card. I then added a few little pearls into the frogs crown to give it just a bit more pop. I also went back and added two pearls to either side of the front sentiment.

may-all-your-dreams-inside1

I absolutely love how how this turned out… the effect of the hanging flags is so cool! I’m pretty excited that I finally got to use my Critters Ever After stamp set too, it’s so flippin’ cute!

As Hannibal from the A-Team would say (and I’m totally dating myself here), “I love it when a plan comes together.”

Supplies:

Other: embroidery floss, pearls.

Thanks so much for stopping by! Look for Pop `n Cuts at a retailor near you soon!

2 comments:

Karen B said...

Love this card! LOVE!

Tiff said...

I've been looking for inspiration using the poles!!! THANK YOU for posting such a fun card!