Sunday, May 20, 2012

celebrate 17 | tutorial

We’ve got a birthday in the house! I made this fun card for my oldest son who turns 17 today. I decided to use the Cupcake 3-D Die by Karen Burniston on the inside because the very first time he saw that one in action, he commented that he wanted a card made with it someday. Well, someday is here so it’s time for an extra special card.

celebrate-17-frontcelebrate-17-inside

To make this card, I started with a 5-1/2” x 5-1/2” orange card base. I created the card front first and then moved onto the inside.

1-circle-framelits

To create the circle frame, I used two Circle Framelits. I used the 4-1/4” and the 3-3/"4” circles. I laid them on top of my cardstock, centering them, and then held them in place with Post It notes.

2-circle-framelits-cut

After a quick run through my Big Shot machine, I now have the frame I need and another circle piece that will be used on the inside. I went ahead and cut another 3-3/4” circle out of patterned paper.

3-celebrate-sizzlit

Next, I cut the word “celebrate” using the Sizzlit Celebrate Set and cut a “17” using the Starter & Rockin’ Janie eclips cartridge (this is the base cartridge that comes with the Sizzix eclips machine).

celebrate-17-front

Time to assemble the card front! I cut a 5” x 5” square out of white, outlined with a black pen, and glued it down to my card base. I glued down the patterned paper circle in the center of my card and then added the yellow frame. To finish off the front, I glued down the “celebrate” and the “17”.

4-inside-fold

Moving onto the inside, I added a 5-1/2” x 5-1/2” piece of patterned paper towards the right hand side of the card to really make my cupcake stand out.

The less bulk at the crease the better, it makes the card easier to fold that way. Since the cupcake itself will be bulky, I made a vertical cut 2” in from the left. When I glued the papers down, I made sure to leave a thin space at the fold.

5-cut-pieces

To create the cupcake, I followed the package instructions for the die and cut two tops and one base as well as four frosting trim pieces.

6-assembled-pieces

Following the package instructions, I assembled my cupcake and glued down the frosting trim pieces. For the main cupcake pieces, I used a strong adhesive since the cupcake does a lot of moving during the opening and closing of the card. To adhere the frosting, I used my regular glue pen.

7-eclips

I decided to have a bit more fun with my eclips machine so I used the Edges eclips cartridge to make two big scallop borders to go on either side of the patterned paper.

8-inside-assembled

To assemble the inside, I scored the yellow circle I made previously as close to the center as possible, matched up the fold lines, and glued it down to the card base, on top of the patterned paper, using a very strong adhesive. Next I added the big scallop borders on either side of the patterned paper. I added the finished cupcake to the inside of the card using strong adhesive, right on top of my yellow circle.

9-candles

No birthday cupcake is complete without candles! I used my Special Occasions eclips cartridge to cut a group of three candles out of white and then again out of yellow. I used a black pen to color in the wick, then I cut the yellow flame tips off, and glued them down on top of the white. To finish them off, I colored the backside using a yellow marker.

10-folded

I added the candles to my cupcake using Glue Dots. Before I actually glued them down, I would half close the card and lay the candles in place on the cupcake, to make sure they didn’t poke out of the card base when it was closed.

11-inside-angled

I know my son is going to be thrilled with this cool cupcake card! I think it’s pretty darn awesome to have a kid that appreciates what I do, thinks the pop-ups are fun, and actually request them! Hope you like it too!

Supplies:

On a side note, he doesn’t request cake for his birthday, he asks for Striped Delight. If you haven’t ever tried it, I highly recommend it. Good stuff!

Happy Sunday! And Happy Birthday to my now 17 year old!

blog-signature-225

1 comment:

Karen B said...

Happy Birthday Nathan! Love this card! The candles fanning out at all the angles are awesome!