Sunday, October 31, 2010

adventures in pumpkin carving

We carve our pumpkins as close to Halloween as possible. We live in a humid area and if you carve them to early, they’re gross by the 31st. So yesterday small fry and I set out to carve a pumpkin. He draws, I gut and cut. This is how our adventure unfolded…

pumpkin1I told him to draw whatever he wanted and I’d cut it out. I think my first mistake was the word “whatever.” The beanie? No idea… he just wanted to wear it. That’s how he rolls.

pumpkin2“Whatever” turned into an elaborate monster scene (there was a dragon involved!) and there was no way I would be able to cut it out. Gotta love a creative child! I turned the pumpkin around and told him to draw something more traditional that would be easier to cut out. So he drew…

pumpkin3A lobster. seriously. A LOBSTER! It was easier to cut out than the monster scene, just not very traditional. That’s okay though, he had fun doing it. So, I cut it out.

pumpkin4Daisy helped… if by helping you mean she was licking it so frantically it almost fell off the picnic table!

pumpkin5It turned out pretty good I think. It’s lobster-ific!

pumpkin6

Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

scrapchick said...

lol - Turned out great though!

Tiff said...

LOVE IT!!! I think more people should carve lobsters into their pumpkins ;)

Maya said...

It looks great! Who could imagine? :)

Anne Gaal said...

Hi, Gretchen! What a terrific pumpkin! Sounds like a great afternoon! :-)