Thursday, June 03, 2010

You Paint It Suncatcher Kit from Colorbök

I signed up to be part of the Colorbök Kids Activity Panel (KAP) and as thank you for signing up, Colorbök sent me a You Paint It Suncatcher Kit.

suncatcher1

My youngest was thrilled when we opened the main box and saw what was inside. He’s my crafty boy!

suncatcher2

The directions are simple enough… just squirt the paint in the suncatcher and spread it around with the tip and use a toothpick for tight places. The box lists the age as 8 plus, my son is 8 and it was really (really!) easy for him. It was a quick, fun project that wasn’t very messy at all. Each suncatcher comes with a little paint guide that goes right behind the actual suncatcher. My son had no desire to follow along with the given colors but it’s nice that it’s there if your child does want to know what colors to paint.

suncatcher3

My son had fun making the suncatchers and he liked the fact that he could do it on his own. He also thought it was pretty cool that you could mix colors to make new colors (the directions come with what colors to mix to make new ones)

suncatcher4

I was a little worried that he would think some of the suncatchers would be to girly but he didn’t care at all. I think there’s a pretty good balance in the kit (12 designs in all). If you’ve got a boy, you could always suggest that the more girly ones be given gifts once completed to a sister, Grandma, Aunt, etc. My son gave the heart and rainbow to his sister for her to paint (by the way 16 year old girls like to paint them too! lol!).

A few other things: there will be a few air bubbles. Not to bad at all but if you’re a perfectionist they’re annoying to see, my son didn’t care at all (which, to me, is the most important thing). I don’t think the tubes are meant to be shaken. This makes the air bubbles worse which we learned the hard way with one of the colors. The orange seemed like it needed to be mixed more (hence the shaking). I tried rolling the tubes a bit in my palms and that seemed to help.

All in all a pretty nifty, self explanatory craft that needs little adult help (if any). After I went over the basic directions with small fry, he really didn’t need me anymore.

By the way, Colorbök did not ask me to write this review. I just did it because I liked the product. :-)

Thanks Colorbök… I give the suncatcher kit 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments: