Monday, June 21, 2010

reading material

I love to read. seriously. I remember when I was young I’d go through book after book and it would actually annoy the heck out of my mom because I went through them so fast. My oldest son is that way now but he’s got it easier than I did… for him we just reserve books online from the library. I had to physically go to the library and look through a card catalog… you didn’t know a book was checked out until you couldn’t find it on the shelf!

I do love the classics, To Kill A Mockingbird is my absolute favorite with East of Eden and Frankenstein tying for second. However, I find that now a days I choose books that are a little lighter. This summer I got some new books to read and wanted to share my list with you.
Reading Material
 
The Lightning Thief (Movie Tie-in Edition) (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)The majority are Young Adult books. I consider them a vacation for my head from my everyday reality. My oldest son recommended The Lightening Thief to me because he knew how much I liked The Harry Potter series. So far I’m really enjoying it. I was actually reading it to my youngest but he decided he’d rather read Calvin and Hobbes so I’m on my own with this one now.
 
 
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella (Twilight Saga) I’m reading The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella  because well, it’s Twilight related and I loved the four main bookshow could I not read this one? On a completely unrelated, non-book note, I cannot wait for the Eclipse movie to come out. I am slightly obsessed… but that’s okay! (at least that’s what I keep telling myself).
 
 
 
The Vampire Diaries: The Return: NightfallI read the first four books of The Vampire Diaries series (The Awakening, The Struggle, The Fury, and Dark Reunion) and really enjoyed them so I decided to continue on and have The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Nightfall next on my list. I decided to read them after watching the TV show. If you’ve watched the show but not read the books, let me tell you this – totally different!
 
 
Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter)A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, Book 1)The last two vampire books are not Young Adult. I was talking with a lady at our local bookstore and she suggested them. I said it would be nice to read something more *ahem* adult and these are the two she suggested. After so many young adult books, I’m looking forward to something a bit more grown up. I plan on reading A Kiss of Shadows and Guilty Pleasures.
 
The Lovely BonesLast but not least is The Lovely Bones. This one has been in my library queue for what seems like forever. I thought the movie looked intriguing so I decided I wanted to read it before I watched it. I’m thinking after all this time (and waiting!) I should just have went ahead and bought it.
 
 
 
 
If your looking for books to read – or a place to get ideas for something new - I recommend checking out GoodReads. There are lots of different ways to find something that might interest you, it’s actually very cool. What about you out there in blogland? Any good books on your to read list?
 
Why yes… I do have a thing for vampires.

3 comments:

rosegarden - Laura Fiskateer 5939 said...

The Lovely Bones is a much better book than movie. The endings aren't the same. Also My Sisters Keeper is an all time favorite of mine. Again, the movie is not like the book. The book is oh so much better

Jill Dater said...

I have read everything on your list except the Hamilton books. I'll have to check them out. I also LOVE Twilight. You might want to try the Charlaine Harris books for a good beach read.

budletsmom said...

I have read all but the last of the Anita Blake series (Bullet) and I loved most of them but they are very adult - a couple of them were just a little to adult and I just ended up skimming because it was just too over the top in some parts - LOL. That said I did enjoy them but I can get them at my local library. It took a couple of the books for me to really get into them and then I just kept wanting to go on.

I would recomend several other vampire series as well - Charlaine Harris of course, Cat and Bones - (Jeaniene Frost), Kerrelyn Sparks - Love at Stake series (funny), Lunsay Sands Argeneau Vampires (also very humerous) are all good. I also like Gerry Bartlett Real Vampire series very funny and also the Queen Betsy series - can't think of the author right now. I also loved the YA series by Richelle Mead Vampire Academy series.

When I ran out of these I started reading another series by Karen Marie Moning called the Fever series - not just vampires also Fay - didn't think I would like it and I resisted for months and then started it and wow I couldn't put them down and am waiting not so patiently for the final book in January - the last book ended on a major cliffhanger. She also has an older highlander series which is a little different - time travel.

I too spend more time than I should would my face in a book - thank goodness for the library though or I would be broke LOL.