Thursday, October 22, 2009

adventures in sewing (when you really don’t know what the heck you’re doing!)


I made a Rag Quilt… I am beyond happy with how it turned out! I’d never made a quilt before but always wanted to try and was wanting to break out of my comfort zone with creating so I decided to go for it... no time like the present!

  • I used these directions.
  • Fell in love the Fiskars 45mm Comfort Grip Rotary Cutter.
  • I was originally only going to do the center colors but it wasn’t as big as I thought it would be (math and I aren’t friends).
  • It was suppose to be a weekend project… and the main center portion was but then I had to go and add to it and extend the process.
  • Bought black fabric to go around it to make it bigger… cut everything, pinned it… didn’t like it… took it all apart.
  • Went and bought black fabric with polka dots and started over… liked it!
  • Somewhere in there I had an adventure with the batting… I’ll spare you the details…
  • In the middle of all this I started a Halloween costume (what was I thinking?!).
  • Clipped everything with my Softouch Micro-Tip Scissors.
  • wa-la!

I am a happy camper and am looking forward to when it finally gets cold (and stays cold!) because I’ll have something colorful and warm to curl up on the couch with!!!

Have a great week… from the sporadic blogger!

10 comments:

Shawnna Samples said...

This is GREAT!

Leslie Ashe said...

OMGOSH you made that!!! Here, let me send you MY address!! That's perfect for my house! ;D LOVE that Gretchen!

Cat said...

Oh wow. How cool is this?!

{Susan...Seriously.} said...

it's beautiful!!! i so love it!!!

Diana said...

Oh my gosh, this is FANTASTIC. Thanks for sharing! Big giveaway over at my blog!

rosegarden - Laura Fiskateer 5939 said...

I love it Gretchen!

AnitaRex said...

Love your quilt! It's so pretty! I have often thought of making a quilt but I don't really sew much. But my mom is a professional taylor and is amazing so who am I kidding. I always think of my mom making me a quilt..

Ladydoc said...

That design is perfect! The black is sooo good. Congratulations on a stunning first effort.

libby said...

Looks beautiful Gretchen. What a clever girl! You should be VERY proud.

Libby

Cathy said...

your quilt is so nice, I have a hard time with the actual quilting top part so mine was awful