Wednesday, August 19, 2009

a quick card and a new Use Your Stash Challenge

I made this cute little card for a challenge on the Hero Arts blogI think I’ll send it to my Grandma! The thought bubble stamp originally had journaling lines on it but I covered the lines while inking the stamp because I didn’t want to use them. I also added a little flower to the lower right, inside corner of the card (which isn't shown) and added the bird to the envelope so everything coordinates.

Supplies: kraft cardstock (yes, again!), Fiskars 1/2” Corner punch, Hero Arts stamps (Happy Hello and Getaway Travel), ribbon, markers.

Use Your Stash Challenge
I’m issuing my own Use Your Stash Challenge. The basics: set your rules and do your best to stick to them. The last time I did this challenge, it was to create 30 layouts before I bought anything new. During that time, I made a mini album and used quite a few We R Memory Keeper Photo Sleeve Protectors and I adjusted those totals accordingly.

This time, I plan to make 50 things! Those things can be anything… a card, tag, layout, altered project, whatever… just as long as I am using up my stuff. I’m not going to buy anything until I hit 50 things (I am not including adhesive, without that, I can’t really make anything!). I am not giving myself a deadline… whenever I get there, I get there.

If you want to play along and make a dent in your stash, just set a goal and start creating (you can pick any goal you want, it does not have to be 50). If you want to create things, great. If you want to do just layouts, awesome. If you just want to make cards, wonderful! If you want a deadline, go for it. If you want to skip the deadline and do it at your own pace, fantastic. This is pretty much a whatever works for you type of challenge – just stick to it!

If you’re playing along, feel free to leave a comment and let me know what your goals are, I’d love to hear!

(and yes, I’m counting this card towards my total so that’s 1 down, 49 more to go!)

If you’d like to see my progress for my Use Your Stash Challenge and what I’ve created, click HERE.

Happy Creating!

13 comments:

Diana said...

cool blog. Met you on Hero Arts!

Lisa said...

I love the sound of this challenge. I just moved house and in the process really got a feel for just HOW much stash I have :-) I don't shop often but when I do, I really go to town and buy loads which more than compensates for any layouts I may have created in the meantime! I like the idea of creating 50 things (probably layouts and minibooks for me) before doing any more shopping. I'm in for the challenge!

Marge said...

Adorable card!!! Thanks for your sweet comment on my Everyday Button Bits card!!! Glad you stopped by!!!

Anne said...

Hi, Gretchen! I love your cute card! That little owl is adorable! And good for you for using up your stash! I keep saying I'm going to do this ... but ... I always seem to find something! ;-)

Cazzy said...

Hi and thanks for visiting my blog Gretchen.
Love the book and what a great idea to do all the layouts without buying new stuff, sounds hard to me!

Cazzy x

Julie said...

Thanks for popping by my old blog. lol I think I will have to check my blog link over at HA. Here is my new one

https://www.theycallmethescrapnut.blogspot.com

Love your work here.

Arlene said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog today. I had to make a quick dash here to peek at your blog. I like your challenge. It's SO HARD not to pick something up. I know I can't go for 50, but I'll go for 25. I already picked up a stamp set I couldn't do without.. so I think I can manage to hold on for 25 cards/ATCs/projects. There... whew.

Vanessa said...

Hi! Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your sweet comment! I love this card (Kraft is always one of my favourites) and this challenge sounds fun! There is so much in my stash I don`t use, but I always want to buy new things... Great idea to use the stash first...

Hugs,
Vanessa

shawnte said...

this sounds like a really cool challenge, but i know myself, my goal would have to be 1 project before i purchased anything else. i'm a hopeless scrap-shop-a-holic.
but i will try since it is such a great challenge. but i'm going easy on myself-5 projects and then i get to shop again-yea!

cute card! i love the bird on the envelope really pulls it all together

Tonje said...

Hi, thanks for the comment on my blog.
I really like your card, so simple, and so cute. Owls are one of my favourites!

Lesley said...

what an awesome idea. i have a little tub of scraps which is getting difficult to close so i reckon im gonna have to challenge myself to get stuck into that.
love the card.

{Susan...Seriously.} said...

cute card! i want to play along, but since i updated my camera, i'm having issues updating pse!! it's driving me bonkers!!!

Cat said...

The card is very cute! I love the use your stash idea...I really need to do that. May I play along?