Friday, January 19, 2007

28 Days | Q & A

In regards to the class, I've received quite a few questions so I thought I'd do a little Question and Answer session for everyone -

Q: My question is, can you email me a link for the rolodex in your supply list? The BPS link isn't working.
A: I purchased my Rolodex file at Wal-Mart, it was around $6 or so. Here's a link to the one I used at Staples. I am so sorry for the inconvenience for the link not working on BPS, we're in the process of getting that updated.

Q: I could not find an 8 1/2 x 13 wood cutting board...can it be another size? I saw 8x12 and things close like that, but not exact - even at Target.
A: It doesn't have to be exact, I just wanted it to have a handle opening - because I think it looks cool with it when the project is complete (and then you can hang it up!). There is a picture of the board I used at the bottom of the supply list. As long as it's similar, it will work out just fine, it does not have to be the exact same size.

Q: Can you give me a little better description of the 4x6 photo album that you used. Is it one of those inexpensive ones that are just plastic or something more substantial? And the reinforcement labels, are they white or clear? I'm super excited for this class, can't wait for February!
A: As far as the 4x6 album goes... I got a inexpensive one from Wal-Mart that cost under $2. It's clear plastic, normally has some type of a front and back cover insert that you can pull out - nothing fancy. I've also seen them at Target and even my grocery store. The reinforcement labels - you'll need white... and you wont need a ton.

Q: I am looking forward to your class! I want to get my supplies and had a few questions. What colors should the tags be and can we make them ourselves? What size binder ring, 1 inch? 2 ? What colors and how many of acrylic paints? Also any particular size for the photo of an object or gift?
A: Lots of great questions! I'll break down the answers as best as I can -
  • You can absolutely make your own tags, I do that all the time (it's the frugal girl in me!) and also they're easy to customize to fit your needs that way.
  • The ring is just a 1" binder rings. If you're interested in something besides silver, Junkitz makes some color ones that come in different sizes.
  • Acrylic paint - I want you to use whatever you have on hand. If you don't have a stash of acrylic paint already, I would suggest starting with four or so in colors you are drawn too. For the project that these are for, I actually used brighter colors. One thing that's nice about acrylic paints, they're cheap (I buy the Delta ones) and can be mixed to make other colors.
  • The photo size - good question! I didn't realize I didn't put that on there. A 4" x 6" picture will do just fine. :-)

Q: I have a question about the candle, should it be one we can take out of the container or one that is molded to it? How big should it be?
A: The candle... any size and any type will work I think. There is a picture at the bottom of the supply list showing three different types... any of these styles will be fine - and if you don't have that exact same thing - that's okay. Everything can be adapted. :-)

Q: How many projects exactly are there? There are 'daily' assignments, but does that mean daily projects or just little bits to create one big project?
A: There are truly 28 daily projects. There are two bigger projects, the Rolodex Inspiration file and Journal and those will have sub-projects so to speak - because we will work on filling them up. For those two, there will still be specific daily assignments but each will be its own assignment. There wont ever be a day where you get instructions to do half a layout or project and then four days later, finish the layout or project. I think there is a nice variety of projects also. I tried to find a nice, realistic balance to keep the creativity flowing.

Q: I can't find a wood cutting board with a handle, what are my alternatives?
A: If you can't find a cutting board with a handle opening - I don't mean one with a handle sticking up, just one with a hole in it (check the supply list for an example) - you can improvise and then alter the directions to fit your needs when it comes time to alter the board. You can buy some brackets that screw into the back of a regular cutting board (like on the back of a picture frame) or if you have someone in your life that is handy with a drill, you can have them add two holes at the top of the board so you can hang it with ribbon. I hope these alternatives help!

If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to email me.

Have a great day!

9 comments:

Juel said...

I just signed up for the class and am getting excited!!

What size are the rolodex cards? I would like to use a tin instead of the cards.

MissyN said...

I am so ready for the class to start!!!

Christi Snow said...

Thanks for all the clarification on this Gretchen. This is my first BPS class and I can't wait to get started. smiles...

Kim said...

Sounds like a great class!

Cas said...

Man this class sounds AWESOME. I'm goinog to go check it out, maybe talk Alicia into doing it with me.

Mia said...

Thanks so much for all the clarification! This is also my first BPS class!!! ;-)

Tamara said...

Thank You for stopping by my blog! This sounds like so much fun!

Janine said...

Hi Gretchen

Greetings from New Zealand. I have just signed up for your 28 Days class and can't wait to get started.

Janine

Kim said...

I just signed up for "28 Days" today and I'm looking forward to getting started! (I wrote about it on my blog this evening too.)