Friday, August 04, 2006

Priorities.

Priorities. As in, what is really important and focusing on those things and knowing what is extra. Knowing what you have to do as compared to what you want to do. Right now and always for me it is family. Raising my children to be responsible and happy, helping them make better choices. Teaching them that there is always a choice but all of those choices have consequences; some good, some bad. Being the best stay at home mom I can be is a priority. Three kids, one husband, one house… a recipe for lots to do. Cooking. Cleaning. Homework. Errands. Keeping the peace. It all takes balance. Let’s throw into that mix something I want to do, scrapbooking… memory keeping… being a life artist… creating… whatever...

See what I said though? It’s something I want to do. I don’t have to do. I choose to.

When I first started scrapbooking, I made my first album and I loved it. My deco scissors, my markers, my stickers everywhere… I loved it. You know what? I still love those pages. I enjoyed the process; I made it for me and for future generations. I put my heart and soul into it. Just because those things are not hip now doesn’t make it any less meaningful.

I know this... do what you love, love what you do. If you like it, then more power to you. So what is Scrapbook Sally got three pages of praise and you got none. That shouldn’t be what it is about. I, like everyone else, need a reminder of this occasionally. I preach it but you know what? I sometimes forget it. I get caught up in who is popular, who is getting published and noticed, who’s getting praise and what other people think about how I share my memories… all of that crap. It can eat you alive if you let it.

This is when I need a strong dose of scrapbooking self esteem. It’s just a simple reminder to me of why I started scrapbooking in the first place and what my end game is… that is, what I want to accomplish from all the time and effort (and money!) that I’ve put into this hobby that has become a lifestyle.

My reminder…
I want to capture memories and record them for my kids, grandkids, family, friends, and future generations to see so they know about us and our history because it is part of their history.

That is it. It’s that simple. Anything else is extra… it’s just gravy.

So, on that note, a few things are going to change. As well as family priorities I have some for scrapbooking… so I am making a choice. Do I know all the details yet? No. I’m going to take it one day at a time. Will it be the best thing for me and my family? Yes. Why? Because that is what it’s all about, family.

9 comments:

shawnna said...

WOW -- sounds like you are at an important fork in the road -- wishing you many blessings and loads of discernment with your upcoming CHOICES

thank you for todays post - it is so important that we do this (scrapbook) for US - for our families - I too needed a little dose of encouragement today -- so thank you for reminding me that i am fabulous JUST the WAY I CREATE

;0)

Gayla said...

You know it was almost three years ago that I made my changes and choices where life and scrapbooking were involved. Gave up the DTs and stopped submitting to the magazines. I can't even start to tell you just how much that changed my life and how I scrap. It's too easy to get caught up in it all. It was becoming work and not a fun hobby. Now I'm back to doing it for the right reasons ..for me and for my girls... and the "joy" is back. Good luck with sorting through your priorities.

Tammy Jackson said...

I'm getting ready to make some of those same sorts of changes Gretchen. It's never easy, but in the long run, we'll do what's right, and that's what counts. All the best with your decisions and choices.

Luv ya!

-- Tammy

Paula said...

you see our vision for Big Picture Scrapbooking!!!! :)

lee woodside said...

Awesome post today. I can so relate. Last year I stood back and took a long hard look at why I create. I create beacuse I want to.. not because I have to. I love sharing my pages and life with those around me. If they like what I do along the way that is an added bonus.
There is way too much pressure on being published and being the best. When did this become so complicated? Enjoy the creative process.... I do... and along the way have made some awesome friendships. There is no pressure on me to create.... I scrap what I want, when I want and how I want. Have a fantastic weekend.

Greta said...

OMG i just had this conversation not long ago with someone. I don't get the whole getting caught up into getting published....it's just so not a big deal. I don't care what people think about my LOs this is for me and good for you as well to remember that...

Michelle said...

Well said. Great post :)

Lynne said...

i think there are many of us with those same thoughts these days. how did you get so smart, eh?

Julia said...

Yep..I know just what you mean and I completely get it! I think many many of us feel the same way Gretchen! After all..it's our families we scrapbook about and if we spend all our time with all these other things and not our families..what will there be to scrapbook about?LOL